Wednesday, November 14, 2007

New cars and naps


I'm exhausted and exhilarated all at the same time. We just bought a new car and we couldn't be more thrilled.
All the worries we had about the other car were just swept away like smelly salmon carcasses. The rattling in the engine, the mysterious leak that continually filled my trunk with water, breeding some horrible mold we were inhaling daily. The trunk hydraulics were long gone so when loading and unloading groceries, I had to lift what felt like a 200 pound piece of metal, then find the long piece of wood we were using to prop it open. If the wood were to somehow fall, the trunk would land on my body probably killing me instantly. This made grocery shopping an unpleasant and dangerous errand. No one works on Saab's in my town and my last mechanic, Fred, turned me away last time I tried to throw money at him to fix my car. "No, I won't work on your car anymore - too much headache!"
When the rattling could be heard from a block away, I took it back to the mechanic who refused me. He peered at me through his little window when I pulled up, shook his head at me and started yelling something in German to his partner. I went in, head bowed, and said I knew he wasn't going to work on it, but I said "would you just listen to the noise and tell me anything?" I was desperate. He looked at me down his nose past his thick glasses, "another Saab story..." He obliged.
His diagnosis? "I'm sorry to tell you this, but that is a bearing loose in your engine. At any moment, the car will just stop working, for good. Drive it quietly to the dealership and trade it in right away." That made me feel a little uncomfortable considering it has already started snowing and I cart around 2 and 3-year-olds in Alaska.
I took the car home, emptied it out, (no small task) vacuumed it and cleaned the seats. I waited til dark so the imperfections wouldn't show and drove to the dealership.
When the sales manager wanted to drive my Saab with me to assess the value, I blasted the radio, the fan and then talked a mile a minute about all the great features the car had. Heated seats, leather, power sunroof, blah blah blah. As the engine rattle grew greater, I talked louder until I was at a manic pitch. Finally he simply said, "what's that noise in the engine?" My shoulders sank, and I just whispered - "I don't know." I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window - liar! I thought. It's for the kids I rationalized.
Once I picked a new car out, I negotiated a deal then sent for my husband. "What are we buying?" he said. A 2008 Subaru Forester I said, silver. We both new it was perfect and we feel like new people. Grownups really. And they say money can't buy happiness.... I need a nap.

1 comment:

George's Blogger Blog said...

Congratulations on your new car! What a hilarious story! YOu have such a great sense of humor. Your details are great. I love the "saab story" and trying not to let the dealer hear the rattle. I miss you! We must make it to Alaska!
Love,
M