Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Dime

Bodhi ate a dime the night before we went on vacation in San Diego. I've never been so worried. I imagined it getting stuck somewhere in his body. I made the mistake of Googling "dime, baby, eat" and got myself so freaked out by the stories and images, I couldn't sleep. I thought about taking him to the airport and using a wand scanner over his body to see what they found. My uncle is an emergency doctor in La Jolla and he just kept calling to see if Bodhi "made change yet." Nobody was taking this seriously enough. My husband had to carry around plastic gloves to inspect every ounce of poop to see if it passed. This was particularly embarresing in public places. The fifth day arrived. After five days it is strongly suggested that you take the child into the emergency room for more aggressive dime removal techniques. Tensions were high and we chose the Wild Animal Park for our entertainment that day. I was with Porter on the merry-go-round, my mom and Bodhi were eating popcorn or something. That's when my husband found the dime. He was so excited and so relieved he started yelling for me to come over where he was, waving his plastic gloves and the diaper saying "I found it, I found it." I was ecstatic and joined in his enthusiasm while passer-by's walked slowly by.

No comments: